Is your pup ready for the big day of modeling?
Here are a few tips to prepare your dogs for their portrait session.
1. Groom at least one to two days before the photo session. Don’t groom on the same day as the session as that may cause too much activity and stress for your dog.
2. Take your dog out to exercise before the session, that gets all those zoomies out they will be a little calmer for the session.
3. Only feed half breakfast if your dog is food motivated this way during the session you can give plenty of treats but not over feed him and still keep attention.
4. Keep safety in mind always have the leash on your dog on location. some people actually go buy a fancy new collar which is fun. If you want to edit out the leash just make sure it’s a thin plain leash. Bring extra water if on location. If you want to capture off-leash images be sure to go to a fenced in dog park or private fenced-in property.
5. If you’re going to be in the photos think about what you’re going to wear. Usually I suggest a color that’s a little contrast to the dog so if you have a white dog wear a dark shirt if you have a darker dog wear a lighter shirt.
6. Be sure to bring tissues or paper towel for all those eye goobies,drool and maybe even mud. And of course remember the poop bags . Bring a brush to tame last minute snarls.
7. Practice basic commands it super helpful to have a dog who will sit for at least a moment and not run off.
8. Consider props if your dog has a favorite toy or blanket Include them in some of the images.
9. Bring an assistant this could be your spouse your kids or your dog’s best friend.
10. Prepare yourself. If you are in a good mood your dog will be in a good mood. Patience and positivity go a long ways.